Monday, January 16, 2012

Winter's Chill

Delicate branch

This time of year, it's a real struggle to find dynamic photos in the colorless environment. Everything is so drab; there are no sounds of birds or bees. The landscape is like a blank canvas; there are no colors to paint it with. The lifeless winter months always force me inward...streaming thoughts overflow, as soft and silent as falling snow. I grow tired of the cold during these long January and February days, but there's something to be said for the winter woods: it's a perfect place to listen, to watch, to contemplate. And to dream of spring and summer! My spirit aches for it...if I close my eyes, I can almost smell the budding flowers and the freshly turned soil.

I search inside
For some memories
Dipping my cupped hands
Into glimpses of sunny days
And my soul flies
With dreamy eyes
Along the soft trails
Of white-cupped daisies
Smoldering in the heat
Of August's rays

If only for a moment
Winter's chill
Falls from my heart
Like bitter glass
Pointy snowflakes
Blue from the moon
Melting tenderly
Spilling away and
Shimmering against
Sunlight on my face.

© Sherri Brannon


11 comments:

  1. Love your poem and your photo is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful picture! Love the warm and soft colors:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful post and photo! I love the warm tones - so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just so pretty. Beautiful poem too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful words Sherri, and the tones and textures in this photograph are fantastic!

    Thank you for sharing with us today at The Creative Exchange.

    Have a wonderful day!

    lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherri, your beautiful post refreshed my spirits on this rather gloomy day.
    Thank you!

    I love the photo and your poem is just lovely!

    And, yes, something to be said for the winter woods!
    I love going there, the peace I find there is wonderful!
    Wishing you a most joyful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my goodness, what a beautiful poem! Your photo and words go together so well! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your poem is exquisite and your photo really beautiful! :)
    Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the colors, was drawn to it immediately from the creative exchange page.
    as always, you have lovely words to go with the image :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sherri,
    What a lovely weaving together of words and your image perfectly flows into the mix! You've captured the feelings of the season in a wonderful manner!
    Thanks so much for your kind comment at CE:)

    ReplyDelete