Friday, June 29, 2012

Painterly

Photo Art Friday

For Photo Art Friday this week, Bonnie suggested we create a "painterly" image. I used this photo I took earlier in the week when I visited my favorite little town of Occoquan, VA. I needed a flower fix! They always have pretty flowers blooming here and there on their quaint, shop-filled streets. I chose this image because it had a dark background and I thought it might be more dramatic...I was happy with the effect and how the sun-soaked buds pop. I used Bonnie's "Painterly Texture" on this image, at Soft Light/32%. I also used an old book cover texture to give it even more of a canvas appearance. I LOVE to go in search of old, public domain book covers on places like Wikimedia Commons...they make wonderful textures in PSE!

I'm also linking this to Leanne's Flower Art Friday, which I'm happy to be able to participate in this week. Happy Friday, everyone!

Photo Art Fridayphotosbyleanne

Original Image and Book Cover:


17 comments:

  1. Sherri this is gorgeous, and the flowers are in such lovely lighting. Thanks for the heads up on Wikimedia commons. You always share such cool links. have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I need to create my own textures more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for texture! I'm going to have to check that out. Your flower image is lovely. Thank you so much for sharing with Flower Art Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply beautiful. I am just learning textures and wish I had more time to do more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how textures can simplify flower shapes.
    This is lovely and definitely "painterly".
    Thanks for the mention of Wikimedia Commons; I had never heard of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful as a texture junkie and a bookaholic this presses all the right buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas, Sherri - with superb results! Thanks for sharing your talents with Photo Art Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful result! And now I'm off to check out Wikimedia Commons - thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome Sherri! How very resourceful and creative you are! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE your image! And what a great idea to use bookcovers for textures, wonderful!
    You have the most beautiful work, love what you're doing with textures!
    Have a wonderful weekend, and see you in class! =)
    Greets from Sweden
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very painterly indeed. I love the sun shining on this lovely stem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the texture and the processing you did here is truly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty. I do love the way the sunlight seems to be shining through the blooms. Loved the book cover texture too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the flower. Met you on Reflection of YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Turned out great, Sherri. I like the beautiful light on the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Sherri, thanks for your lovely comment on my timeline post !
    Enjoyed reading yours too, I can understand what you're saying
    about meeting others with creative interests, that's why I also
    joined Beyond Layers, it's awesome, love the challenges !
    Your painterly image turned out so beautifully, great idea with
    the old book cover !
    Have a nice Sunday,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete