Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Reaching: Why Do I Blog?

reaching tendril

I’m participating in Kim Klassen's and Xanthe’s online class “Behind the Scenes: A Creative Guide to Blogging Your Passion.” I’m very excited to be a part of it, and look forward to learning lots about my blogging and how I can improve on it. I enjoy blogging so much and know so little – this will be a great learning experience. Our first assignment was to answer the question, “Why Do I Blog”? It was interesting to ponder over this - clarifying it felt good.

I blog for two main reasons: One, because I’m creative and have been unable to find fellow kindred spirits in my real life…I’m surrounded by lovely, but practical, people who have no interest in (or time for) artistic things. For many years I kept this artistic, poetic side of myself hidden because I had no one to share it with and felt odd for being this “creatively yearning” person. The yearning was unwavering and such a part of me on a daily basis. Second, I’m an introvert – quiet and shy in real life. It’s harder for me to share my truth face to face; it makes me feel too vulnerable. I’m much better at revealing myself with writing rather than speaking…writing, whether it’s poetry or a blog post, gives me time to compose my thoughts.

Ultimately, blogging for me is about connecting and sharing with people who relate to me and the creative things I love to do. The little communities within my blog world GET me, accept me, encourage me, support me…it’s a lovely thing. And in return, I love to do the same for others by interacting with and encouraging some really wonderful people. Blogging empowers me to express myself, and expression is vital to who I am. To not express starves my soul's longing...I've done that, and it's not a good feeling (poem below). Blogging allows me to share my heart with less anxiety and more bravado. The buffer of the computer screen – having it as my armor - gives me courage. Reaching through the computer screen – connecting with others - gives me validation. As I move forward with this blog, I want to try and gather my love of poetry, images, and art into a more cohesive unit. My camera and PSE are the common threads that have tied these all together for me – I believe I discovered photography for this reason, and I’m incredibly grateful!

UNWRITTEN

Chapters of my life
Held tightly to my chest
Bound firmly by the most
Delicate of memories
Crescent-moon shadows
Underneath my nails
My hands keep reaching
For bookmarked feathers
Gripping empty pages
Where words surely
Should escape
The sun is setting
On the vibrant spaces
Between my fingers
Tales trapped in my heart
Rattling in their cages
And I hum
In twilight's silence
My soft, unspoken songs.

© Sherri Brannon

26 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, Sherri. I guess I blog for the same reasons. I feel like my creative side has evolved so much through the process of blogging and shared inspiration with this wonderful community. It's really pretty amazing. I'm glad you've found a place to nurture, grow, and share the creative side of yourself here, as well. Your poem is lovely and so profound. Those last lines, "Tales trapped in my heart, Rattling in their cages, And I hum, In twilight's silence, My soft, unspoken songs," gave me goosebumps. What a shame it would be if you never shared those gorgeous words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so lovely sweet Sherri....
    beautifully spoken.

    xo, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to what you are saying out being unable to find kindred spirits in real life! My husband is supportive but he doesn't really get it. My daughter is probably the only one that does. This is a wonderful community for us to become kindred souls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you .I really enjoyed reading this and can sure idenify with so many things you have shared about you. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherri, you certainly are blessed with a creative soul, such beautiful words. So happy of this 'new' connection.Yx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. All of it.
    Love that poem xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Lovely writing! On a personal level, I really resonated to your comments about being introverted and feeling vulnerable. That really opened a door for me to think about. I'm having trouble blogging (In fact, I deleted years worth of posts recently) and I think it's because I'm not wanting to keep revealing - too many insecurities pop up. The computer screen as both buffer and barricade is a compelling image. Thanks for posting! LOVE your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. This was a beautiful post and I'm sure it resonates with many of us taking this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherri, I honestly think you know so much about blogging. You blog from the heart and from passion. You share a beautiful world of layers and photograph. I think for us introverts, the web provides a safe haven where we can find kindred spirits without having to sift through all the possible "candidates" for a possible friendship. How tiring this is for us... all the small talk to get to what really matters. I think you are a wonderful person and your blog a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sherri, I love your thoughts and your poem. Thank you for starting that thread in the classroom too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Sherri, Thank you for starting this thread...what a great idea! I love your post, i think we have alot in common! Blogging is such a great way to connect with people with similar passions! i just know this is going to be an amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, How lovely! The me that used to write poetry existed a long time ago, I have lost touch with her now but I still enjoyed yours so much, thanks for sharing it with me.This course is going to be a BIG leap out of my comfort zone.SCARY!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice Sherri. I totally relate to not finding kindred spirits and I feel envious when I see others who have found those people. I'm also a creative but my family and friends do not share my creative pursuits. That's one of the reasons I started my blog but as some of us have found, it's often hard to form bonds. Glad to meet you here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very well said.
    Speaks to our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW...Sherri, not only are you talented as a writer, photographer but you can create poems too! Your awesome!!!! Keep plugging away...who knows where all this could lead for you.
    Laurie @ Pride in Photos

    ReplyDelete
  16. You write so beautifully Sherri. I love your poems, they touch a spot deep in my soul. I'm so glad you blog. Looking forward to reading more about you.
    Many hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. So lovely, thanks for being so open and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice. I can really relate to what you are saying. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sherri! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on blogging. I'm in the blogging class with you also and really enjoying it. I have to say I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm hoping to have more time to get to know everyone and their blogs better. Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a wonderful heartfelt post. I love our description of your computer screen as armor. Yes, an interesting parallel. I too like that writing allows me formulate my thoughts ... there is no delete button when speaking out loud. Love your background. I used this same one in a previous blog, which unfortunately got abandoned. Thanks for sharing, Sherri.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great why blog. And thanks for the setting up of the posting. It is a big help.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautifully spoken, or written. Thanks for being brave enough to bless others.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sherri! I totally get you and it's so nice to meet you. You pull thoughts and words together beautifully. Your poem is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice to meet you, Sherri! beautifully written - and inspiring also - I haven't done mine yet . . .

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sherri:

    Your third paragraph resonated with me. While I am not shy, and most people might see me as more extroverted, I'm really not sure how many people are aware of the parts of myself I do not share...how much of my real self people don't see. It takes time to know me...therefore, most people don't. I remember the quote from the movie Shadowlands, "We read so we know we are not alone." I'm so enjoying everyone's blogs...but yours especially.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Sherri, thankyou for being so open here..i really relate to some of your feelings. especially about being vulnerable to share your truth face to face..isn't it so wonderful that blogging gives us the ability to speak our truth..great to meet you here at BTS. Chelle x

    ReplyDelete