Friday, June 22, 2012

Lonely

vintage effect

Bonnie's suggested prompt for this week's Photo Art Friday was to create a vintage look with a photo. I chose this image I took of a field in Warrenton, VA and worked with it until it looked "old". I used various textures, including Bonnie's "Age It" texture. It looks so lonely and desolate, as a lot of old photos do - but I like the effect! Please click on the button below to visit Bonnie's blog and see more wonderful photo art. I'm also including a poem I wrote about loneliness - it seemed to fit so well with my image. I was trying to convey that hollow feeling of "aloneness" we all feel sometimes, even when we're surrounded by love - it's a burden of our human consciousness that we must bear.

LONELY

Loneliness endures
Pressed like dead flowers
Between the pages
Of our lives
Swelling in our bellies
Hungry in the pockets
Of our jackets
Alongside hidden hands
With trembling fingers
And our polite lips
Reveal nothing

Loneliness is a ghost
A beastly spirit
Flying over our town
Settling at our bedsides
Begging for a fight, and
We're not the fighting kind
Haunting our hearts
Floating in our yards
Flooding our eyes and
Darkening our skies
As night comes on

Loneliness caws
From the crook of our lungs
Like a melancholy blackbird
Shivering on a fir
Anguish in her breast
Braced against the wind
While thick, pale clouds
Suffocate the moon
And the angels
In the rain
Are out of earshot

Loneliness overtakes
The hush of our minds
With the musty burden
Of a gray-green moss
Coating our souls' panes
With a stark, aching frost
While a clock ticks
In an empty field
And our hearts beat
Calmly, steadily,
Dying for a touch.

© Sherri Brannon

Photo Art Friday

19 comments:

  1. I really don't know how to respond to such talent Sherri ... Your ability to express yourself in image and in verse makes me shiver.
    "...coating our souls' panes..." - I hope you publish a book marrying your images and words. I'll be first in line to acquire a copy.

    Thank you for sharing your talents with Photo Art Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post Sherri, it does look very pensive there, a beautiful vintage effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to your post and the poem! the picture is stunning!
    Thank you for your encouraging comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this poem is wonderful! Both the poem and the image so well convey the felling of loneliness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome mood and a lovely poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful talent. You are a true artist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you did with your photo - it does look old and worn out from lots of handling! Great look! Your poem certainly did a good job of illustrating loneliness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Sherri, I agree with Bonnie. To tell you it's wonderful just doesn't cut it...but it really is and I know that is resonates with all of us at some points in our lives. Thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts and words!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am inviting you to come and be part of my blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/06/show-your-stuff-29-mini-cherry.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photo certainly does convey loneliness and your poem depicts it well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you've given this field a very melancholy feel. Your poetry is so deep. I know those who struggle with loneliness would certainly relate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sherrie, once again, your work has ended up in my journal. So beautiful in art and words.... you amaze me!!! I am sharing a link of a blog called poetry jam that I thought you might enjoy contributing to. A friend of mine often contributes that, and loves to write poetry also.... here it is http://poetryjaam.blogspot.com/ check it out and know you would be heartily welcomed there with your work. Hugs from texas

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your poems are so lovely - well suited for the photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your edit on this is perfect! Definitely very lonely and moody looking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a talented lady you are. your poem is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm always so impressed when I visit here, Sherri. And here's another wonderful marriage of words and images. Thank you so much for sharing this, I enjoyed it very much.

    Have a great Sunday!

    Georgianna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Impressive poem and photo. Loneliness is such a feeling, no? Sometimes can take us over in a room full of people and sometimes it is something we absolutely crave for.

    ReplyDelete