Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Ocean as Cathedral

ocean as cathedral

Kim's prompt for Texture Tuesday this week is to post an image centered around a quote. We just returned from our beach vacation this past week, so I had to post a photo of the ocean at Hilton Head...walking beside the ocean is my most favorite place to be. There's something so spiritual for me about being near the sea...the water connects with my most inner thoughts in a way I can't explain. I only know that it's profound and comforting in a way that no other location is (except for, perhaps, deep in the silence of the woods). I experience such clarity...my thoughts flow freely and I feel an invisible, yet powerful, presence. For my quote, I'm using a few lines from a poem I wrote about my love for the ocean and the way it makes me feel. I used Kim's "Vintage" texture with this image, at Overlay/28%. The font I used is called "Sunshine in My Soul".

OCEAN AS CATHEDRAL

A spirit in my feet leads me
To stop walking in circles
And pray, linear, by the ocean
Where delicate, strong things
Stir from my depths
Like the whale’s backbone
Quiet and hidden

The sea turns its ear softly
Hearing the unspoken words
From my soul
Those hallowed things
That no one ever knows
Those gold and silver tears
That never flow

Thoughts become translucent
Each wave a simple hymn
With something new to sing
The soothing of my fragile frame
As a heron glazes the waves
And seagulls fly like small
White souls hovering

Truths in my hands unclench
Releasing their philosophies
Battling the water
Tested for their strength
Some sinking like stones
And drowning
Others breaking the surface
With their absolutes

The best are washed back ashore
Catching the light of the sun
Clinging to the ragged rocks
Of my hopeful longings
The ocean is my cathedral, and
Revelations from my heart
Float freely atop
The deep and sacred sea.

© Sherri Brannon

kimklassencafe

23 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful picture. I really love the blues in it. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're quite the Renaissance woman. You are an excellent writer and photographer. Your poem really speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful words, Sherri. The photo and poetry are blessings to the rest of us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many of the things you talk about ring true for me too. Beautiful image and quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so in love with this TT Quote -edition ♥ Your entry is wonderful. Perfect pic and quote!!! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful...this is a photo and a quote I can see myself coming to revisit again and again. What a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful photo and quote Sherri. There is something so peaceful about the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful, love the added hearts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photo Sherri and what a perfect quote and poem to accompany it!!
    I so totally understand and identify with your comments about the ocean/water (and possibly forest) connection and, believe it or not South Carolina and Hilton Head are places we travelled to as children!
    (P.S. That mug is from the early 70s...part of a set called Sun by Midwinter...you can still find pieces on E-Bay!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so soft and relaxing...the perfect essence of the shore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I love your written work just as much as your photography :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my.... soooo very very lovely..... bravo sweet Sherri...

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a wonderful seascape and your poem mirrors my sentiments about oceans and seas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I prefer woods over ocean ! Your picture and the processing is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely capture Sherri. Your poem is wonderful as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sherri, this is just beautiful.
    Perfect words for such a wonderful image.

    Sending you wishes for a wonderful day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, how lovely! Just looking at this image creates a peaceful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful. Words. Texturing. Photo. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a beautiful photograph and quote, Sherri. Loved your poem, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sherri, everything about this post is perfect. The photo with the beach, the seagull flying, the texturing, the hearts adorning the side of the photo pass so much peace and love. And the poem is absolutely inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember this one! Don't I? Well, I remember the title anyway, I think.

    Loved this part:

    The sea turns its ear softly
    Hearing the unspoken words
    From my soul
    Those hallowed things
    That no one ever knows

    ReplyDelete