Saturday, January 26, 2013

Two Spoons Walked Into A Bar

two spoons study

two spoons study

two spoons study

two spoons study

two spoons study

two spoons study

two spoons study

two spoons study

two spoons study

Well, not really...but they sat on my table and I took lots of photos of them! I'm participating in Kim Klassen's Beyond Beyond class this year. Our assignment this week was to pick an item (or two) and spend a good amount of time taking photos of it without moving the items themselves. The idea was to get different perspectives only by moving your body/camera around the item(s). I chose these two old spoons and laid them out on top of a large piece of Bristol paper in my kitchen. I wanted natural light, as much as possible, and I thought it was fitting that the muted colors are very much like the winter landscape outside right now. This was a fun lesson...it forced me to really study my spoons and think about negative/positive space, shadows, etc., when taking each shot.

P.S. Kim Klassen's online classes are wonderful and I highly recommend any or all of them. It's because of Kim that I learned Photoshop Elements and have improved my photo editing skills. Please click on her name in the paragraph above to see her blog and/or learn more about her! The Beyond Beyond class has already started for this year, but she offers other classes also.

25 comments:

  1. They are beautiful Sherri. The intricate details on them are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beyond gorgeous! I so love the angles and depth of field! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such gorgeous antique spoons! I never thought to take out our silver and photograph it. The fifth shot is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat project! The handles are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely wonderful and what a fabulous idea. I love all the light and shine on the spoons and the compositions and DOF are spot on. Just perfectly vintage! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your different angles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The caption says it all here! LOL. Seriously, you took some great shots of these lovely pieces of silver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to use the Bristol paper for a surface! You did excellent on the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did great on your first assignment! :)
    Have fun in Beyond Beyond and enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sixth shot with the roundness of the spoons as a foil to the square windows, but both with similar silver tones. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great job... all are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sherri! Love your spoons! It is amazing how you could come up with so many great photos from different perspectives!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love the two spoon in front of the window. The light reflecting on the spoons matches the trees outside the window.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the 5th one, but I also think the 6th one, with the trees outside visible in the windows, is equally stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is hilarious, lol. You've got some great angles and perspective on these spoons So glad they walked into YOUR bar :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've got some fabulous shots of these beautiful spoons. Lots of great camera angles!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the different perspectives! Beautiful detail!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so gorgeous - I looked at them and thought they must be the runcible spoon from the Owl and the Pussycat. :) Love your camera angles and how the light is catching them. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What gorgeous detail in these simple spoons..and I love how you can so simply change things up by changing points-of-view!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Sherri! Lovely photos of these spoons. I love photography like those you did. [close up so tight you can see every bend and scratch]. As far as my shoes. I don't have a ton of heels. I love flats because there are a ton now that are so cute. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, how fun! Gorgeous spoons, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, think you could spin a great story on this...two spoons walked into a bar, lol, love it Sherri! :)

    And I love all your perspectives here....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful photos for the first assignment, love the light and the deails on these old spoons is just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete