Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Abandonment Issues - Lorton Prison

Abandoned prison

Abandoned prison

Abandoned prison

Abandoned prison

Abandoned prison

Abandoned prison

Abandoned prison

Abandoned prison

Abandoned prison

Abandoned prison

I'm continuing with my Lorton prison photos...today I thought I'd share some images I took of the building we went inside of. The door was wide open, so we couldn't resist. It was very creepy inside...thank goodness there was bright sunshine outside to provide lots of light! Otherwise, I don't know that I would've gone in there...lol. We only stayed on the upper level - there was a downstairs, but my vivid imagination would never let me go down there. The textures and peeling paint inside were amazing, and I loved how the vines had crept their way through the broken windows and were winding their way down the walls. This poor building had major abandonment issues, but my camera and I were thrilled to capture its oddly beautiful state. A lot of my images weren't lined up straight, but this was one case where I think it actually adds to the derelict mood of the photos.

9 comments:

  1. These are great shots Sherri! I love photos which are looking through windows, and these windows are definitely very inviting and look so old. Interesting to go into these old prisons, and your mind can really envision the people who were here. I have forgotten where this prison is at... Very fascinating. Hope you have a great day, and thanks for stopping by "my house".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry about that...I should have mentioned that this prison is right here in Virginia. It's about 20 minutes from my house. I'm amazed that when it was an active prison, there were home communities all around it. They occasionally had prisoners break out, so that would've made me nervous! These were hardcore criminals, too. Have a great day, Jeanne. :)

      Delete
  2. A lollapalooza of textures and color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos - I especially love the radiator! How wonderful to have such a photo op so close by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I was so drawn to the vine coming inside through the window. What great captures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially like the ones of the vines in the windows because of all the color and textures...Amazing photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sherri, these are incredible, you have captured abandonment in a beautiful way!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. bu you translated this little abandoned building into beautiful images Sherri.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherri, this is sooooo cool. Buy a long flowing dress and go back and take some selflies!

    ReplyDelete