Thursday, October 25, 2012

Derelict

abandoned building

Abandoned building

This past weekend, my husband and I went to some abandoned prison grounds near where we live. Part of the property has been refurbished into artist studios, but behind that there are still acres of property that sit abandoned and neglected. I absolutely love old buildings...they are in disrepair, their colors are fading, but in their old age they are incredibly beautiful. The peeling paint, the broken windows, the overgrown ivy...these things add richness and depth. There was even one building that was open so we went inside. It was a bit creepy and desolate, so I was glad to have my husband with me! I would never walk back there alone. I will share many more photos in the coming weeks as I edit them!

For this week's Photo Art Friday, the prompt was "derelict" and the timing was perfect with all these photos I captured. I worked on two photos...I thought I'd post both because I couldn't choose. For the first, which we think may have been a prison chapel, I used Bonnie's "Vintage Craquelure" texture at Multiply/100% and put the image through Radlab several times to change the sharpness, tones, etc (and using reverse layer masks to fine tune certain areas). I also used both the Posterize (Normal/65%) and Cutout (Normal/47%) artistic effects in PSE. For the second photo, I used Bonnie's "Age It" texture at Difference/100%. I also used the Posterize effect at Normal/44%. I then chose the Gradient Map (purple to orange) option at Difference/28%. As always, I finished up in Radlab to brighten/sharpen, etc.

Original Photos:


Photo Art Friday

20 comments:

  1. You have put such wonderful atmosphere in your beautiful old buildings Sherri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can almost feel the textures in the photo. It must have been interesting to poke around in there. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you processed these images. They are more colorful but you can still see that the buildings are derelict.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great editing, Sherri! Love how you captured the green life beside the lifeless, abandonned buildings. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you did an amazing job with the processing! it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Discovering such views is giving much joy, fantastic composition. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these, the colour contrasts are fantastic, great processing and textures. I'm participating in Photo Art Friday for the first time today - loving all the inspiration. Thank you for sharing your process, it's great to have some pointers and ideas to play with! Happy Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all those little details of old buildings too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old buildings are always a favorite subject for me. Your processing on these photos is so creative. The end result is a beautiful piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What you have created here is the BEginning of a story and I am eager to hear how you will unfold it. The way you've processed your photos, these two, is fascinating. I love knowing HOW and I love how reading HOW makes little "indentations" right where I am learning. I have only really done the blend modes in PSE8, and I still freeze up when I try to expand my horizons. However, when I see something and then read HOW it was done, something BEgins to shift. Your photo art is most inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots Sherri! The stories that have happened in these buildings ..... gives us much to contemplate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool!! Sherry these are so awesome. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the transformations and the contrast with the originals. The plants take back what was once theirs - nice touch

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are wonderful. Love the one with the Ivy growning down over the building. Great edits that really bring the photo's to life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're like a mad photo scientist! :)

    There is an old, abandoned single-floor motel that we pass on the way to and from the beach. It looks creepy and interesting at the same time. This reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what you created! Very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice creations..works of art;)

    ReplyDelete