Friday, July 13, 2012

A Secret Gate

Fence

Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate; and though I oft have passed them by, a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun. ~J.R.R. Tolkien

For this week's Photo Art Friday, our image was to center around fencing. This was a photo I captured in Williamsburg, VA. I started playing around with adding layers, and tried a page of type from an old book. I used a new technique that I learned from Kim Klassen's Beyond Layers class (highly recommended!). I used Gradient Map, but instead of reducing the opacity, I tried the different blend modes. I was amazed at the different looks you can get! For this image, I used Gradient Map/Darken blend at 93%. It looked very cool, but because I'm always curious in PSE, I decided to take it one step further and invert it (Command I). I loved the results! I always enjoy my weekly "play time" with Photo Art Friday...to see more great images, click on the button below!

Original photo:

Photo Art Friday

16 comments:

  1. How creative!! I'm totally charmed Sherri. Your artistic choices always captivate. This would make a fantastic book cover! Thank you for sharing your artwork with Photo Art Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. So different from the original photo. It gives it that very 'secret' quality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherri I should have expected your entry to be so creative, and it is. Love what you have done adding that print on the fence. Am always amazed at the stuff that you create! CT done, and results on Thurs. UGH

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What an artistic photo creation. Love how the words peak out of the fence. A great idea to us the book for a layer. That Gradient Map option does amazing things to photos. I need to play with it some more. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow, I love this - it feels so enchanting like a page from a fairy tale book. Fabulous choices on editing Sherri!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherri, this is an amazing piece of artwork!!! i really, really like it! Especially the printed fence!! it looks great and so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Sherri, this is fantastic! So wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing what you do with your photos, Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome edit! - I like the Literary Text and the fact that books often have "hidden gardens" of knowledge that crossing through the fencing often brings us into that garden as we read through the pages. Does that make sense? - Anyway I really like your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! Thanks - especially - for sharing with us how you created this. Love..love..love the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Incredible!!! I love this picture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - what a great effect! Love the result!

    ReplyDelete