Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Semblance of Comfort

Day lily

I really need a break from the news this week as every TV and computer screen replays the heartbreaking horror of Aurora, Colorado. There comes a point when the bad news begins to overwhelm me and I need to retreat to simple things so I can restore some inner peace. The world seems so stressed...the economy is suffering, cynicism grows, and even mother nature seems angrier these days. And here in the thick of it, humanity resides and tries to survive...we are all so fragile.

Working on photos is soothing, and just what I need. This photo of a daylily in my yard comforts me...it's beautiful and slightly askew in perspective, which suits my mood (lol). It's my offering for Texture Tuesday (I used Kim's "just be" at Color Burn/26%). Today, I stay away from TVs and news sites...and feel blessed for all that I have. I sip my coffee, I stroke the soft fur of my sweet Ruby's back while she dreams, her paws softly twitching...I listen to the hum of the washer that cleans my family's clothes, and the tap of my keyboard as I type this post. That is enough...it is more than enough, and I am grateful. I find comfort in everyday routines...those household rituals that soothe on a simple Tuesday, while the world spins frantically around me, trying to contain itself. How are you faring today? I hope you're well, and I thank you for stopping by.

WEARY

The earth mimics the
human spirit, I think,
as the sky sags
near to breaking
am I imagining things, or
are all the stars weeping?

The rain seethes atop
the sharp, green anger
of the grass blades
the burdened earth
groans and cracks
losing its form
under the pressure

I stand on the turned surface
inhaling the sky deeply
willing myself to feel
some semblance of comfort
amidst the evil hate
of humans
the self-righteous debate
of egos

The toxic wind mocks
whipping around
the bent over souls
of oaks
who root their way, ragged,
up a hill.

©Sherri Brannon

kimklassencafe

19 comments:

  1. Oh my . . . beautiful photo and haunting poem. I hope you are feeling OK, I know your post comforts me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely done! Great processing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful image with lovely texture work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so sad, isn't it? Very, very heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautifully written and poignant poem.
    The day lily image is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, the news has just become too much and photography is so soothing! Your picture is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherri, such a lovely post and your poem so just right . Nature can soothe and heal as can the joy of creating something.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did it again, your poetry is amazing! And I'm with you, I know it was a tragedy, and horrible and not to disrespect any of the victims, but I can't listen to anymore. Yesterday I logged on to facebook and everyone was complaining, about something - just negative nelly.
    Thank you for your beautiful words, Sherri!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherri, like you I can't even look at the news anymore. And the sight of that man, with his orange hair, and weird facade made me so angry, because to me it reeked of " mental insanity" crap.
    Now your photo and poem are like a nectar of beauty amidst chaos. Although I can feel the pain and unsettled feelings in your poem, it is nonetheless beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so understand your need to get away from the news. I actually did that over the weekend, and it really helped. It does not mean we don't care about others. Just being bombarded with it 24-7 is so tough on everyone.

    I love how you rescued yourself by being creative, both with your images and with your writing.

    Peace and blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photo of the day lilies. It is so hard to keep one's spirits soaring with all the tragedy that seems to be overtaking us. I hope that expressing your feelings in that mindful poem gave you some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sherri- this really spoke to me- and the picture is pure delight- stunning. Like you, I need to feast my eyes on the good and beautiful to balance the harshness of LIFE- that is so rough,all around us all day every day. I loved how YOU put it: I need to retreat to simple things so I can restore some inner peace.
    Oh, YES~!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your picture is so pretty! Thanks for the reminder to take time and be appreciative for what we have - even the simple daily routines!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely image. That angle really is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sherri,
    News has been very overwhelming this week, I agree completely. I was beyond shocked when I woke up to the news. My heart goes out to the families esp the little ones who were in the theater that night :(
    Hope you are feeling better now.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Willing myself to feel
    A semblance of comfort


    I find myself doing that a lot lately.

    I wonder if things really are getting worse, or if it just seems so because we are so connected and the news is everywhere. I hope it's the latter, but I fear it's the former.

    Thanks for posting this. It does provide some sense of comfort that there are other wonderful people like you feeling the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sherri,

    I wanted to share this video with you. A friend sent it to me and when I started watching it, you were the first person I thought of.

    Also, it kinda fits with the theme of this post.

    It starts kind of slow, and it's about 20 minutes long, but, uh, well I'll just shut up now.

    http://www.celebratewhatsright.com/film

    ReplyDelete