Friday, April 13, 2012

Photo Art Friday - Favorite Quote

art is good for the soul

For Bonnie's Photo Art Friday this week, I created an image with one of my favorite quotes. And since the quote involves creating art, I started with a very simple charcoal sketch I did last week. I also used an Instagram cloud photo from my iphone and various public domain textures and images. I just kept layering and layering, "eyeballing" the different blend modes with each layer until I liked how it looked (and using lots of reverse layer masks). I also used Bonnie's "Dream Wonder" texture at Saturation/100%, and put the image into Radlab several times to sharpen it, lighten it, etc. It turned out dramatic and dark, but I love the end results! And the quote is absolutely true, in my opinion. Art is so good for the soul and is a cathartic way to express ourselves...and photography is a wonderful art medium! I can't believe the joy I have found being able to incorporate my new photo and editing skills into my painting/drawing attempts. It has opened up so many ideas in my head and I can't wait to learn more. There's not enough time!

LIFE DRAWING

Shape of a treasured memory
Hue of a hidden fear
Shade of an unfilled destiny
Tone of a tender tear

Contour of a fragile thought
Erase of a word that stings
Portrait of a soul that's lost
Sketch of a hope that clings

Value of a loving touch
Texture of a smile that's kind
Circle of a permanent scar
Oval of a light-filled eye.

©Sherri Brannon

My original images:




Photo Art Friday

22 comments:

  1. I love this post because I so identify with you on it....The image you created is wonderful on so many different levels.....Great job....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great words and great art! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive! I really like how this turned out - the additional layers make such a dramatic difference in the combining of your 2 images. Just gorgeous....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the beautiful.... I am amazed and you are so talented....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so inspired by your creativity here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous - great quote and I love how you mixed a drawing into your digital creation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is amazing! I love how it turned out and I do so agree about the process of making or 'creating', I feel the same, it's like a clearing out! You are very talented indeed, thank you for sharing your work with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful piece. I love the colour and mood it evokes. Great quote too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You do such creative work. The combination of your drawing and all the textures and photo turned into a very interesting and intriguing piece of artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I forgot that the Poetry was just as creative, and I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun you had with this. I get zoned out when I get really involved with various images, filters and blends. Beautiful result.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the quote and the beautiful image to go with it! Wonderful work

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Sherrie, what a gorgeously creative soul you are. This is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Incredible, Sherri! Love the image and the words – thank you so much for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me too, i love this work of art. The style and combosition are so elegant :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This piece is so wonderful! I really love it! Very creative and beautiful done!
    Have a nice weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my Sherri! Where to start? I love so much about this post. Your poem is fantastic and fits so well with your image and described process. I work in much the same way you describe - trying, adding, subtracting, treating, etc. And it is so much fun to incorporate our own sketches or paintings into our digital art. No wonder you are happy with the results!!! Thank you so much for sharing your art and your process with Photo Art Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE what you have done with this!!!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG Sherri ~ this is amazing!!!!! I absolutely love what you've done with your lovely bald lady!! :-) She is now 'dressed' so beautifully!!! You inspire me to give it a go...

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is a wonderful piece, I love the way you've combined your own artwork with the photograph and the layers

    ReplyDelete