Monday, April 16, 2012

Creative Courage

Crooked Eyed Girl

It's Monday and there are no prompts, so I'm going to post an example of what I've been working on these last few days. Discovering that I can merge my art work with PSE has opened up a whole new world for me...I want to share my results with anyone who might be interested in doing this themselves. I hesitated posting, though, because of my insecurity about my very flawed art work...in the past, I would've stopped right here and not written this post. But my excitement over showing what you can do with photo editing/art is stronger than my embarrassment at people seeing my amateur drawings. I'm a beginner and have a lot to learn. But I won't be hard on myself...instead, I will enjoy the process and share my work, even if it's not perfect. If anyone reading this has thought about trying something new and held themselves back because of doubts about your abilities, don't let it stop you! We all have to start somewhere, right? It's about the joy you feel while you're creating, not the end results.

For this image, I started with two of my creations - a charcoal sketch of a girl (excuse the wonky eyes and misshapen face) and a painted abstract background. Painted background are very freeing to do...it's basically just adult doodling. You can slap paint and scribbles wherever you want, and if you don't like it, you can paint over it! It's wonderful, and very therapeutic. I scanned both creations into my printer and then uploaded them into PSE. I played around with my background first - the incredible thing is that you can paint an original background, upload it into PSE, and alter it completely (with added layers and textures) to create a whole new look. Once I liked my altered background, I layered it over the top of my charcoal sketch. I then added a crackle texture and put it into Radlab to add a couple filters.

And there you have it - I named this "Crooked Eyed Girl". :) Don't let fear stop you from trying something new...jump in and just do it. One little step at a time. You can do it, I know you can.

Original pieces:

6 comments:

  1. Puhleeeeeeeeze! You should NEVER be insecure about sharing your artwork (easy for ME to say, haha)....because it is fantastic! Thanks for showing all that you can accomplish with PSE too, it's an eye opener for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your creativity... i would love to be able to draw and paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT belongs on my wall!!! Love love love it!!! Well done Sherri - and stop apologising for her 'crookedness'. That's what makes her unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like what you've done, Sherrie. I have PSE on my computer but haven't taken the time to learn how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is wonderful!! What a great idea to use your paper-based artwork to create in Photoshop. I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete