Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Decorate Your Own Soul

wild daisies

wild daisies

wild daisies

After a while you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul, and you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning and company doesn’t mean security, and you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts and presents aren’t promises, and you begin to accept your defeats with your head up and your eyes open, with the grace of an adult, not the grief of a child, and you learn to build all your roads on today because tomorrow’s ground is too uncertain for plans. After a while you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much. So plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers. And you learn that you really can endure…that you really are strong, and you really do have worth. ~Veronica A. Shoffstall

Being out in nature with my camera offers me much joy and comfort as I adjust to my daughter's move to New York City...my heart aches a little, but I also know I'll be OK. I like that age and wisdom give us the tools to plant our own gardens and decorate our own souls. When I feel sad or down, I let it flow through me and then I carry on. I go out in search of my own flowers, and when I find them my soul smiles and I feel so grateful. Gratefulness is the key to life.

These little daisy-like flowers are everywhere right now - maybe they're just weeds, but to me they're absolutely beautiful. So cheery and bright!

Thank you for stopping by - in the final image above, I used Kim's "mere" texture at Soft Light/20%.

Kim Klassen dot com

13 comments:

  1. Great images. Love the depth of field in the top one. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These may be weeds were you are, but they are treasured garden plants over here: Michaelmas daisies. And don't they make a lovely picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely post - really speaks to the mom in me (I totally understand!). Your images are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful meaningful words! I understand your feelings about your daughter moving a far distance. Enjoy your photography...so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful images to go with this beautiful poem (one of my fav's) ... lovely post today ... sending positive thoughts your way as you adjust to this new stage in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the top image I too love the little daisies, always so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could not have said it better than her quote. I like the wild look of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pleasant! I especially like the colors in the middle photo. My daughter recently moved to Kansas from California. She's coming to visit this weekend with her new husband and I can't wait! It's an adjustment to be far from a daughter (or son), isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you during this time of transition. She will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The flowers are beautiful. Especially like the last photo with the white flowers poking in all over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pictures, the photos and words do touch my heart, Sherri!
    Take pleasure of the moments as they unfold - with the feelings, carrying along and letting the tears drop, when they're about to ...
    The changes in seasons of life do inevitably come - even when preparing us for their arrival, we need to live through the adjustments...
    Enjoying greatly your captures of fall in Instagram :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your colorful shots, and this poem is one that I love and used to carry around with me in my wallet. How true it is.!

    ReplyDelete