Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What's Your Pointe?

pointe shoes

I've discovered some things after participating in Texture Tuesday for almost a year now. The main thing I've discovered is that Kim's textures look the best (in my opinion) on photos with a light or white background. Outdoor photos with trees, etc., don't look as good with texture over them. For me, this has meant learning to do more indoor photography, which I have absolutely loved! Over the winter, my house was filled with natural light because of all the bare trees...and therein lies my current problem. Now that spring is here, the trees are full of leaves...and my shady house is so dark! All of my natural light is sparse, so now I'm going to have to come up with new ways to achieve a light/white background outside. Time to invest in some white fabric, I think, so I can set up a photo shoot on my deck. Meanwhile, for today's Texture Tuesday, I worked on another of my daughter's pointe shoe/tutu shots from several months back. It was one of the few photos I could find with a light background. I used Kim's "Cool Grunge" texture at Color Burn/18%. I also adjusted the Brightness/Contrast, did a High Pass of the pointe shoes and tulle, and used b&W Gradient Map to tone down the image. I finished it up in Radlab.

kimklassencafe

10 comments:

  1. Interesting composition with the contrast of the iPod against the classic ballet shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comment about Kim's textures looking better on light backgrounds. I hadn't thought about it before but I think you're right. Most of her own photos seem to be taken with very pale backgrounds. This will make me think more carefully about my own compositions in future. thanks.
    Carol aka traveller

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherri ~ stopping by from the TT group...LUV this photo. And I remember seeing your others on Flickr that rocked my boat as well. You have a lovely sense of (your own) technique. I don't tend to be a "light photo" kind of gal, so I have found Kim's texture a challenge for the very reason you've explained. Still, I do like a challenge :>}} I've decided to not change my shooting style (or locations) for the most part & instead, to find textures that work with my vision. I've discovered that often I can combine one of Kim's textures with a *dark* one (or more grungey) from someone else & this will produce some interesting effects...

    So glad I stopped by here today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful Sherri, I love the ipod! I use an old white tablecloth draped indoors, and I find going for a desaturated effect with outdoor pictures work well with texture, if you get a fairly plain background. It does take some playing around but that's half the fun isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Sherri, this is exquisite. It is very special to me because I used to be a ballerina and in this single photo, you were able to convey so much of a ballerina's life. The fraying of the pointe shoe, the muscles on her calves that come with years of practice and dedication. Truly a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when you talk 'photo-editing' :-) Gorgeous shot Sherri!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been told that the only sport more taxing than ballet on an athlete’s body is football. I used to dance 5 hours a day, 5 days a week. Now, I am as light and gracious as a hippopotamus (out of the water;-)

    It takes so much dedication and discipline, but to me classical ballet will remain one of the most beautiful forms of art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely image! (I've also noticed that I have the best success with Kim's textures on images with light backgrounds.)

    ReplyDelete