Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Heart of Things

Abandoned prison grounds

Abandoned prison grounds

Abandoned prison grounds

Abandoned prison grounds

Abandoned prison grounds

Abandoned prison grounds

Abandoned prison grounds

It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

I thought I'd post some more of my images taken at the abandoned prison grounds in Lorton, VA...the photo opportunities at this location were simply amazing.

I have to laugh at myself as I go through my photos - I have a definite viewpoint that shows up constantly in my photography. I seem to always gravitate, unconsciously, to flowers and/or weeds, and I get in really close so that the flower is in sharp focus while the background becomes blurred. This seems to be my method of operation! What can I say? I just love the effect and can't seem to get enough of it!

I guess it's somewhat symbolic of my innate tendency in life to always want to remove the background noise...to look closely and see the heart of things. I'm always more interested in what's beneath the surface...hmmm, food for thought as I analyze my own photographic tendencies.

I'm linking up today with Kim Klassen's Texture Tuesday...please click on the button to go see more wonderful photos! I used Kim's "touch of 2" texture at Soft Light/20% on the final photo above.

What is your photography style? Do you notice a pattern in your photos and the way you go about noticing things?

kimklassencafe



11 comments:

  1. I think I would have to say with a resounding yes, that is my style too. I am an up close photographer, wanting to find connection and intimacy with all that surrounds me. To examine and observe life...to learn lessons from nature....yep, that would be me! Beautiful photos Sherri, you are rocking that new camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim - although this is still my point-and-shoot! Hubby was using the new camera that day. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your shots and I shoot the same way! Love the prison in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same Sherri I love the closeup the little details of life. I particularly love the feather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are sharing more of your photos...each is a jewel. Deeply introspective people, can easily focus on that which is close, silent, blends in, contributes solitariness and is good for the soul. I love your looking at yourself through your photography. Beautifully written and photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting thought: we blur the backgrounds in our photos because we want to blur the background distractions in our lives. I'll have to think on that. And your 'remnants of fall' photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your finds at the prison, I know I would have done the same thing by zeroing in on the beauty in flowers. What a treat to have found those growing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is interesting that so many of us choose that sort of perspective. I also am enthralled with this sort of photo. For one thing, it really magnifies the small things in life. It make the ordinary seem extraordinary. Don't you think. Love your weeds, and the prison background is so interesting with this,,, in its abandonment. I often take photos that fascinate me like this, print them, and place them in my journal... then writing a "story " about it. Amazing what you can learn about yourself. Hope your week is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great observations of your photography view point and style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely set of images! and what an amazing place to take photos! My backgrounds are often blurred and I am drawn to flowers, weeds, and birds. Wonderful quote too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous images! I also love taking this kind of shot - flowers and weeds in the foreground; blurred background.

    ReplyDelete