Sunday, November 10, 2013

I Am...a Mermaid??

ocean view

MERMAID

There lies an ocean inside my chest
A cosmic rolling of the tides
Each swell of breath a rhythmic crest
And in this place a mermaid presides

She skims atop my wrecks and treasures
Where gold coins wink and beckon
And grains of wisdom nestle
In oystered pearls that glisten

Where heartaches fuse to coral
Stinging plankton with their grief
While wild waves curl with churning thoughts
Then lap on shimmering sands to sleep

The stars beam down at the commotion,
And seagulls hover with salt-kissed wings
Swooping with a listening ear
To hear her raw notes as she sings

She’s tossed, and rocked, and cradled,
And tumbled endlessly
My precarious, sensitive mermaid
In the depths of my vast blue sea.

© Sherri Brannon


There are all kinds of people in this world...and, actually, each of us has "all kinds of kinds" inside of us, wouldn't you say? I am a mother, a daughter, a wife, a sister, an introvert, a poet, a jokester, an artist-in-the making, a mermaid...yep, you read that right. Well, according to this poem I wrote, it sure seems I am! I like that poetry takes me to places I would never be in real life. :)

I want to say thank you to everyone who commented on my last post about personal limits...I was so touched by your kind comments, advice, and words of support. You boosted my spirits tremendously and I'm so grateful for that. This blogging community is such a lovely place to be!

I hope you don't mind that this image I'm sharing is one from back in July when we went to Hilton Head - an ocean photo seemed fitting for my mermaid theme today. I have so many photos from that vacation that I've still not edited. Too many photos, not enough time! Thanks so much for stopping by - I'm linking up to both Kathy's Song-ography and the Poetry Pantry today.

…to slip beneath the surface and soar along the silent bottom of the sea agile and shining in water honeycombed with light. 
~Ellen Meloy

20 comments:

  1. SO TRUE Sherri that there are all KINDS OF KINDS, just inside of us.. Lovely photo. It is an amazing community isn't it... the BLOGGING COMMUNITY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shot ~ love the light ~ enjoy ~ carol, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the photo.. the poem reminds us that all of us are a kaleidoscope of many different things...the fun part is discovering all those things...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This shimmers in loveliness throughout and I completely get the glimpse into the ocean inside. The third stanza is full of pain and beauty... palpable:
    Where heartaches fuse to coral
    Stinging plankton with their grief
    While wild waves curl with churning thoughts
    Then lap on shimmering sands to sleep

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning.... Beautiful words and perfect image to go with it

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo!! I agree that the blogging community is amazing and they have proved it to me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First may I just say I "Love" this poem. Have you published any of your poems, this one is awesome. I can just picture that mermaid in the ocean and what a wonderful photo you had to go with it. I agree each of us is indeed many "kinds" of people all rolled into one person. Great take on the song.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is an amazing poem and gorgeous scene in the photo. wow. I'm blown away by your words.

    adding you to my blogroll now too.

    www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful writing. Mystical and magical!

    ReplyDelete
  10. there are many different aspects to US...to our lives...its part of discovering ourselves and the world around us...the pain, the life, it all plays a part of it....

    ReplyDelete
  11. such beautiful images.. there's something that feels like home, in the waves, the water.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this poem just SINGS to my soul, which is in love with the sea. SO beautiful, as is the photo. I, too, love the support end encouragement we find here in the blogging community. So happy to have met you in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think there is something pretty spectacular in each one of us - all kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so beautiful.. a lovely piece to to read before I head to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You my friend have a way of weaving words that make them sound like a symphony rolling off the tongue!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. To me it felt like a soothing song of sea:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and all the good things in 2014! :<)

    ReplyDelete