Tuesday, October 22, 2013

From Automatic to Manual: A New Photographic Journey

bowl of gourds

I can't believe it's been three years now since I fell in love with picture taking...my love for photography and editing has grown and grown. It's the first creative endeavor I've ever stuck with for an extended period of time...except for poetry, which I love just as much. These past three years, I've taken all my photos with my trusty point-and-shoot Lumix...I love this camera and it has allowed me to capture beautiful things with just a snap of the button. It allowed me to embrace this new passion despite my lack of knowledge about cameras, which I'm forever grateful for.

This past week, we invested in a new camera and I am now faced with a new challenge - finally learning how to work a camera manually. My husband and I are going to share our new investment: a Canon 5D Mark III. I can't tell you how intimidated I am to use this magical camera - I feel like a preschooler who has gotten behind the wheel of a Maserati. I literally know nothing about manual photography, and this camera has so many functions and capabilities - it's mind boggling and, honestly, a bit scary!

My goal over this winter is to slowly start learning...can anyone recommend any online classes, tutorials, or books that will help me grasp the basics? I would appreciate any advice. I do have Scott Kelby's series of Digital Photography books, and we purchased an eBook about the Canon 5D Mark III that looks very good. But if you know of any other online sources or books that explain photography basics in a way that's easy to grasp, please let me know.

I'm almost embarrassed to share the above image, but I HAD to at least point and shoot with our new camera, even though I had no idea what I was doing. I am absolutely amazed at the quality of the photo despite my lack of knowledge! Amazing. I keep reminding myself that any talented photographer I see online was once a beginner like me...I know practice is key. Please wish me luck! And thank you again for any advice.

I'm linking up today with Kim Klassen's Texture Tuesday...I used her "Sybil" texture on my image, at Multiply/20% - just enough to add a subtle tone.

There are, it seems, two muses: the Muse of Inspiration, who gives us inarticulate visions and desires, and the Muse of Realization, who returns again and again to say ‘It is yet more difficult than you thought.’ ~Wendell Berry

kimklassencafe

14 comments:

  1. Sherri, I admire your work so much... you are such a talented photographer and I couldn't give you one ounce of advice. I know you'll be rocking that camera in no time! Your image today is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you get used to using manual, you'll forget how to use the auto setting. A great book I would recommend is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Also the Perfect Picture School of Photography has great online courses with very talented instructors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherri, how fun! I have to tell you when I got my first DSLR (nikon D80) I thought because I had a good camera it would take great photos. And well, on automatic in most situations it will take great photos, just not creative, compelling, story telling images. When we first moved here to the gulf I really wanted to take a sunrise photo, and knew that it wasn't going to happen in auto mode, but lucky for me there was a man there with my same camera who had the knowledge that I did not and set my camera setting for me. It was so liberating. From then on I kept my camera in manual mode and just adjusted and experimented from there. It was about a year later that a friend was talking about f-stop to which I had no idea what that was and she suggested 'Bryan Peterson's' book 'Understanding exposure'. It was such an aha moment when he explained what a perfect exposure was....I thought, so THAT is what those little lines in my camera view finder are for! LOL

    I would start with that book, and also get the book for your camera that explains all the functions of your particular camera. And then, go out and shoot, alot....don't be afraid, you can delete the ones you don't like. But you need to make some bad photos before you start understanding what I call - the camera trinity - f-stop, speed, ISO, and how they work together. I can't help in the area of classes, as I have never taken a how to one. And I really believe that you need to go out in the field and experiment before a class is going to make sense, but that is just me. In fact, Bryan has several really good books, not expensive, simple books.

    I can't wait to see your progression. (And p.s. I never listen to my camera meter anyway, haha) I'm certainly no expert, but if I can help you in any way, shoot me an e-mail....have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherri, you couldn't have gotten a better camera imo. I love mine and I don't know half of it's capabilities, it is a tank.
    I can recommend a few places for you: 1. One suggestion are workshops if money allows, I am a in person and hands on person and I know you said you love macro. I love this persons work and have taken a class from her when she was teaching at Better Photo a few years ago. Her name is Kathleen Clemons, she is on Facebook, she uses the Mark III and she lives in the Maine area. Does a lot of workshops, I am going to be taking one in March with her in Charleston SC. She loves the Lensbaby lens with the macro attachments.
    2. SLR Lounge is great for Tutorials http://www.slrlounge.com/
    3. Photograpy on the Net is a forum which is also a good place for info. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
    4. On facebook there is Photographytalk you can do a search for that on facebook. It has a lot of video tutorials that land in your feed everyday which I find really good. Several with Brian Peterson as Kim had mentioned, his books are really wonderful. Follow along and be sure to do each exercise at the end at each chapter. Check out his Utube videos.
    5. Lastly have fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sherri, you will have some fun! Ditto what Barbara says about Kathleen. I'm also seriously planning on doing Bryan Peterson's Exposure class so I will be more comfortable in total manual mode.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherri, when I opened your blog from the TT link, my breath was taken away by this beauty!! This is just stunning! My online learning for shooting in manual mode was done with Bella Pop Photography and I liked her style, and teaching techniques. The Bryan Peterson books are all fabulous, and enlightening, and great references. These new digital SLR cameras have so many features and goodies, even the low end ones take a lot of time to learn it all. You are going to love using your new camera - such a nice one! I'll certainly look forward to your journey! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awesome it that Sherri. Just take it one step at a time. The best part of starting is being able to look back in year and see how far you have come. My best advice is just take a lot of pictures, slowly as you read different things and take different classes it will all start to make sense. It does not happen over night, so you just have to hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are on an adventure. What fun! I totally understand your intimidation. I am the same way - but I understand you can get far greater depth and effect with a manual - the lenses are amazing. I love yoiur squash in a bowl photo - it is lovely. Have fun learning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your DSLR, Sherri! I know just how you feel - I got mine in June, and I am still learning all the things about aperture etc... I've been following the manual and the dvd that came with the Nikon - and am planning to take one or another course during this winter to really get into all the functions. It is a whole different world compared to the lovely point-and-shoot... We're in this journey together - Exploring DSLR's ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful image! I totally understand your intimidation! I try to learn little bits at a time, otherwise it can be so overwhelming. Enjoy your new camera!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing to be embarrassed about, it is a lovely peaceful shot... as to the camera, you might see if you can get a 'Magic Lantern Guide' for your camera. I just looked and there is a copy for the Mark II (not the Mark III). I had a Pentax K7 and then upgraded one model to the K5 and my Magic Lantern Guide for the K7 is all applicable to the K5 (there isn't a newer edition out for the K5)... so most if not all of the info in the guide would probably applicable to the Mark III as well... just a thought. Those guides are very helpful and you will learn tips and tricks on tweaking your camera that you won't necessarily understand from the owner's manual...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic Sherri you will have so much fun. I think practise and make notes of the settings you like There are so many great people to consult online but first pour iver the manual. Set yourself challenges and just play. Looking forward to seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how wonderful for you! Manual mode is far simpler than you realize. It's a triangle that, once you get in your head, you'll always have it. :) Congrats! Can't wait to see more beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful image! Have fun with your new camera!

    ReplyDelete