Friday, December 9, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree

Oh Christmas Tree

I get so much joy out of our Christmas tree each season, from the decorating of it to the nightly lit presence of it in our living room. Each and every ornament has sentimental value, especially the ones hand made by my daughter...there's the telescope-shaped one made out of felt that she made for her Dad when she was 4, and the mouse made out of acorn caps and a walnut half that she made in first grade. There's the snowman made out of the tongue depressor, and the reindeer made out of wooden beads and pompoms, with bent pipe cleaners for antlers. There are all of the ballet dancer ornaments we bought her during her many years of dance, and the annual polar bear/penguin ornaments that our dog, Ruby, buys for her "big sister". Then there are the Disney ornaments we happily picked out with each visit to Disney World, and my German ornaments I bought when I lived in Heidelberg at 19. Forty years later, I still carefully unpack them from their boxes and hang them on the tree with fondness. How could one not smile when looking at these precious things? And as I hang each ornament on the tree, the moments come back to me.

I know there are people who have "theme" trees each year, with every ornament carefully picked to coordinate with the color scheme. Everything is perfectly put together, and they are beautiful. Ours is eclectic and messy, with ornaments in various colors and states of beauty or disrepair. But what it lacks in aesthetics, it makes up for with love...precious trinkets of love, twinkling at me on a winter evening, reminding me to stop and take a breath while my heart overflows with memories. This is my submission for Photo Art Friday at Pixel Dust Photo Art.

11 comments:

  1. I think your tree is beautiful and your edit of the photo is fantastic - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. All my ornaments have such beautiful memories attached to them, it would be hard to have a different color scheme or theme every year. Your tree is so gorgeous with your decorations and the text of Christmas music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photo and processing.
    Great composition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful work of art.

    Greetings, Merike

    ReplyDelete
  5. very lovely composition and the processing is beautiful. i love Bonnie's Christmas Music texture. thank you for sharing. karen (visiting from PAF)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tree and it's wonderful to have all those wonderful memories that go with all the ornaments!

    Lovely post, Sherri.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That image glows with both light and love. Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with Photo Art Friday Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely delightful! Wonderful image! Well done! :)
    Your tree is truly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is my kind of tree! That's exactly what our tree is like a mixture of all kinds of stuff. - Great edit, perfect texture for your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love what you wrote here, as much as the picture!

    ReplyDelete