Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Grace of Spring

Spring 2014 trees

Spring 2014 trees

Spring 2014 trees

Spring 2014 trees

Grace is always present. You imagine it as something high in the sky, far away, something that has to descend. It is really inside you, in your heart. When the mind rests in its source, grace rushes forth, sprouting as from a spring within you. ~Ramana Maharshi

THE GRACE OF SPRING

A fallout of body and mind: the melancholy of winter sank in, as it tends to do. My heart was put on a shelf by my own hands, numb and dumbed down by gray snow and screen glow. There was the passing of time, the rise and fall of moods and moons. But spring's wind is like a soft, holy breath against my skin. And its blooms are like visible prayers suddenly revealing themselves. I'm drawn back to the shelf and I retrieve my heart, studying it with no noise to hinder thought, in a stillness so soft it charms. The heart is our dearest partner, I remember. We do everything with it: loving, fearing, hoping, falling apart. Our soul resides in it, in the silence. I go outside, and I take my heart. It breathes again, filling my spirit's winter hollows, replacing them with joys again, soothing my sorrows. April's flowers have magic powers.

--------------------

My first attempt at a prose poem...I'm not even sure if I did it right, but I like how it flows so smoothly, as if I'm writing in a journal. May you feel the hope and grace of spring! That is my wish for you.

19 comments:

  1. Well it is lovely and pretty amazing for a first attempt. You do have such an amazing way with words sherri! Also love your spring shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Sherri. Sorry I've been away so long. It's good to read your words again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful!! Your prose and your skies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your heartfelt and descriptive writing is a joy to read - I had to read your post and then let the full meaning sink in. The images of sky and trees make it seem as though anything is possible, to begin again, fresh starts and new seasons. Thank you for the inspiration today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how lovely to see the first signs of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these pictures of the tree branches. The second one especially captures that beautiful time when the buds on the tree are still so tiny they almost form a softly coloured mist around the branches. It's not easy to catch that moment of spring, I know, I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So deeply moving and beautiful Sherri.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh such a lovely prose ... well done indeed! I adore all the springtime blossoms ... heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, what a difference spring makes in one's spirit. Winter was way too long this year. Indeed what a difference April flowers will make. I am still waiting here, but it cannot be long now. A very nice prose poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, your sky is so blue and your blossoms so generous.
    Our Spring is a touch skimpy this year.
    You did great with the prose poem: thought and style and lyrical touches are all there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is beautifully written...so are the photos.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like springs breath being a holy wind...it was a beautiful day here..i felt the sun kiss my skin, but a cool breeze kept it moderate....ah it was lovely...not bad on the prose...

    ReplyDelete
  13. those blooms do look like prayers reaching to heaven

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW. I thought I was reading your poem in the multiple images, but the prose part added the contrasting winter, the heart on a shelf re-owned and allowed to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There isn't any "right way" and if there was you can set the pace :-) (prose Poetry)
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  16. "spring's wind is like a soft, holy breath against my skin" - how beautiful a line that is! A lovely poem, and glorious springtime photos too - this post uplifts my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully written and a wonderful greeting to spring

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah...the joy of spring ! Except it's autumn here:)

    ReplyDelete