Sunday, September 8, 2013

Lift Off

lone heron

Overhead the birds are calling, their cries seeming to fill the air. As I watch, they rise, flinging their bodies against the sky, intent upon the moment, spinning and turning like embers or smoke upon the air. I envy them, this life of theirs, the way they live so free of themselves, they are without past, without future, an exaltation of life beating in so many parts, rising up into the infinity of space. Watching them I find I want to weep, and yet I have no tear. ~James Bradley

Kathy's prompt for Song-ography this week is "I Want to Break Free"...my week has been so busy that I had to choose an image to share from my iPhone. I haven't had my real camera out very much, but I've had my iPhone with me on some walks, which I've done a lot of with this gorgeous weather we're having in Virginia.

I captured this image of a heron sunning his wings out on the lake, and it made me want to trade places with him for a little while. I think it would be so nice to feel the sun on my wings, to hear the gentle lapping of the water all around me, with no distractions...and to know that at any moment I could lift off and fly to the sky on an adventure, swooping amidst the clouds. I would love that feeling of freedom, and also that aerial view of the lake from up above. Wouldn't that be awesome? I sure think so.

I used to have dreams as a kid that I was flying, and they were so vivid and real. I was always so sad when I woke up and realized it was just a dream. I don't have the flying dreams as an adult...I wonder why that is? I wish I did, because I'd like to experience that feeling again, if only for a moment!

Click HERE to visit Kathy's blog and participate in Song-ography - it's a fun prompt and she has a new one each week. Thank you for stopping by.

8 comments:

  1. Reminds me of a favorite verse from Psalms. "Oh that I had wings like a dove, for then would I fly away, and be at rest."

    I used to have a dream where I was riding a bike, but I'd make these jumps and fly through the air and it would take my stomach away. And now that I think about it, I've not dreamt that dream in a long time, either

    ReplyDelete
  2. A truly beautiful shot, Sherri.
    I too would love to fly, have had dreams of flying, like you but not lately.
    Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it fun to imagine how exciting and freeing being able to fly would be. I've had those dreams (even as an adult) - I always find them to be so exciting.
    Love the way the heron is fanning it's wings in your shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't ever wanted to be a bird & fly... but I've marveled at the strength of the "V" formation of a flock of birds moving across the sky! powerful, huh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I read that those flying dreams are gone as we get older. I still can see the one I had as a kid where I am flying out the upstairs back window... soaring over the elm that was the closest to it. Continuing on over the willow tree and field next to it. I remember feeling scared at not having anything to support me. And that's it. The end. At least I can still reflect on that image!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read that we have more flying dreams as children because we are more carefree. The older we get, our concerns, worries, responsibilities literally ground us both in life and in dreams. I have to admit...I think there is some merit to this explanation. Thanks for joining in at Song-ography.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's perfect because it is exactly the feeling I had when I looked at the photo: freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also would love that feeling that I could "FLY FREE'. Love your shot Sherri, and as always, such wise words! You definitely have a way with words.

    ReplyDelete