Sunday, June 30, 2013

A June Poem

at the lake

It’s entirely conceivable that life’s splendor surrounds us all, and always in its complete fullness, accessible but veiled, beneath the surface, invisible, far away. But there it lies—not hostile, not reluctant, not deaf. If we call it by the right word, by the right name, then it comes. This is the essence of magic, which doesn’t create but calls. ~Kafka

Here's a poem I wrote this past week, inspired by a visit to our community lake. My photo was taken there, too. I'm linking up with Poets United, a wonderful blog where you can share your poetry each Sunday - thank you for stopping by!

JUNE

Circles of thought spin
Atop the lake's water
As a tree, sun-kissed
And languid, bends over
Intently to see the words
Sensing at its roots
That the source
Is actually deep
Beneath the surface
Beyond its reflection

The sky's vault unlocks
Scent of blue air wafts
Moving through the
Spiral of my inner ear
To that soul spot
Where a poem flies free
Like a bird, its beak
Carrying the words
I don't speak, its
Feathers tickling
My tender heart place

A lone wren's music
Brims like liquid
Over the horizon's rim
An oak branch shifts
The bold sun flicks, and
A pollen-gorged bee
Slumbers and dreams
Nestled inside the
Velvety soft spikes
Of a lilac.

© Sherri Brannon

17 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful poem and the imagery so vivid. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, Sherri. I do think so often visits to lakes, forests, etc. can be inspiring (as well as refreshing) for a poet. I like the idea of circles of thought spinning atop the lake's water (can picture this) and loved that soul spot where a poem flies free. You have worked in so many sights and sounds that I feel as if I was right there with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. And the photo is beautiful. I'll miss June. She's one of my favorite months...sort of the calm before the storm of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I also love the photograph, delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice...that soul spot where a poem flies free...i like that...also the personification of the tree, bending over to read the words int eh deep....very cool verse...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very beautiful. Love the photo, it is glorious. I especially love the idea of the tree bending over contemplating her roots.And the bird flying away with "the words I do not speak". Beautiful writing! Thanks for posting at the Pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is always so beautiful--this one is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful words for an equally beautiful photograph, Sherri.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, Sherri! Your words are lingering on my ind, as my eyes rests on the serene landscape ... still water - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I felt like I was there at the lake with you! Thank you for sharing!Tanka Whirl

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last stanza embodies it all for me. Enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see why this spot would let the words of your poems begin to fly free!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the positive spirit of this poem, and the perfect ending.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heaven is that picture for sure. I love your words too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sherri I just love this poem ( and the photo too). It has perfectly captured the thoughts that I was having recently on my trip with my grandson when we were swimming in a charming little lake. Your poetry never fails to totally amaze me.. Love it!!1

    ReplyDelete