Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Magical World of Mushrooms

magical mushroom

magical mushrooms

magical mushrooms

magical mushrooms

magical mushrooms

magical mushrooms

magical mushrooms

magical mushrooms

In July, most people go out in their yards looking for flowers that are blooming...for me and my shady yard, I've been on the search this week for all the mushrooms "blooming" overnight. Having a very woodsy property makes for some interesting discoveries, and the mushrooms lately have been popping up everywhere. It's fascinating to me how many different types there are.

Most of these mushrooms were within a 20X40 foot space! I've been on the hunt for fungi every morning this week. Each one is so unique - some are more plain, some are showy, some stick together in clusters, and some are solitary. Kind of like people. :)

While thinking about this post, I did a search for mushrooms because they interest me so much. I found this link to some photos by an Australian photographer named Steve Axford. He takes the most incredible photos of fungi. As I looked through his images, it struck me that mushrooms growing on the floor of the woods remind me of the strange and fascinating creatures found on the floor of the ocean. They're strange looking, and striking, and oddly beautiful in a way that makes you gasp. Click HERE to see his amazing photography of fungi at Bored Panda. Gorgeous!

I'm linking up with Kim Klassen's Texture Tuesday today...for the last image above, I used her "Touch of 1" at Multiply/74%. I have even more mushroom photos that I'll share in a later post. Thank you for stopping by!

“Texture

19 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, I love these wonderful mushrooms, pure beauty in the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful.Wonderful captures of their details. In high school I had a teacher who gathered mushrooms for eating. She did tell us that you need to know which ones to pick as some of them are poisonous. The edible and non edible ones can all grow in the same area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each and every shot is a masterpiece, Sherri! I love to photograph mushrooms too - you have totally inspired me. And thank you for the link to the Bored Panda - very inspiring too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mushrooms are intriguing. They look like they have a secret they want to tell you! Lovely images. Great Bokeh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these Sherri the point of view is great...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right ... mushrooms are so intriguing and you've captured them beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! What a wonderful eye to discover and record this fabulous fungi! (I also admire the POV....that means you had to be down on the ground. :-) Great variety.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautifully fairy tale like and so inspiring. You make me want to run and get the camera and head outside to go mushroom hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your images - they are indeed magical and fairy tale like. It amazes me how quickly mushroom grow - and you're right, each one is very different and has a special beauty. Thanks for that link too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours are all so unique! We only have the plain, smooth topped ones, without colors. Looks like you had to get way down low to get them in a good perspective. I love the last one, color and design! Thank you for your visit today Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are very interesting looking mushrooms... great captures also!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic. What wonderful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How beautiful ! Nature is so wondrous and your photos are perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  14. My dog Riley would love to come to your yard. I think he has destroyed all the ones in our yard.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my , these are amazing shots.
    I especially like the shape of the last mushroom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My first visit from Kim's link-up, and these images are wonderful! I love the detail you captured! We don't see many here, but we have had a cluster of what looks like burnt brown mushrooms that grow when it's very humid and wet ... definitely not as interesting or as pretty as yours! And thank you for sharing that link, Sherri ... his images are incredible! Have a wonderful weekend! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. very cool... i love mushrooms and just last week we had the treat to get some hand-collected mushrooms served for dinner...hmmm... love all the different colors as well... though sadly the most colorful are non-edible

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow- wonderful photos!!

    ReplyDelete