Sunday, June 3, 2018

One Lung

524. Procreate, Percolator, Grunge HD.

My soul truly knows me
for who I am
I love her so much
I'd remove one lung
to make a room for her
and there she'd live
up against my ribs
she'd make sure
there was a window
she'd breathe on the glass
till it fogged
and then draw a heart
with her finger
lingering there
till it cleared
to make sure I saw it
from the other side
so I'd know for sure
she was there

If I could guess
what she looks like
I'd bet her pupils
are huge with wonder
and her eyes
must look like questions
I could not foresee to ask
her hands would gently unspin
the cruel things
I've told myself
those lifelong
wasp-gold thoughts
I've stung myself with
the pockets of her flowy dress
would be my safe place to store
those words inside my heart
too raw for me to speak
the ones with that bone-taste
that blood-smell
from cutting too deep
so I don't tell.

She safe-keeps those for me well.


© Sherri Brannon



[Note: I created the art piece on my iPad, using various apps, but mostly the wonderful Procreate app.]

12 comments:

  1. Can something be too beautiful for words? this has to be one of my favourites though I must have said this before! Every line is a winner - full to the brim with soul. I would like to learn it by heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, thank you so much...your words made my day. <3

      Delete
  2. Both poem and image are works of art. I especially relate to the wasp-stinging thoughts. I have plenty of those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this especially; "I've stung myself with the pockets of her flowy dress would be my safe place to store those words inside my heart too raw for me to speak." Beautifully eloquent 💜

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this description, how she lives pressed in your lung with a window she draws a heart on. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your artistic talent not limited to writing but extending to creativity on the internet. Your poem is so beautiful. Your painting is a marvel to me. I've tried procreate and quickly get discouraged. You did a wonderful job with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful piece of art and writing..

    ReplyDelete
  7. A stunning piece - brilliantly rendered. Wonderful artwork. In short, a fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its all been said... great write.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that image of the lung and the heart on the fogged glass...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A most beautiful write Sherri, more than that, a stunning write.
    Your words are pure art, tugging at my emotions.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, surprising and wonderful, and very insightful. I particularly like 'those lifelong / wasp-gold thoughts / I've stung myself with' and 'that bone-taste / that blood-smell / from cutting too deep / so I don't tell'.

    ReplyDelete