Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Air Up There

sun star

SWAY

I flee to a field of poppies
knee deep in ruby stalks, and
the breeze swirls their songs
through the soul of me.
Soft, murmuring melodies
float through me to the sky
into breadths of blue and
puffs of billowy clouds.
I want to hide here
forever, I whisper, and
I sway with the rhythm
of the stems, while the bees
suckle harmonies
from rouge petal cups
and velvety stamens.

© Sherri Brannon


Ah, the beauty of nature and the elements. Noticing them in the quiet is as soothing as music. Flowers, wind, sky...and to look at those skies, to really let them soak in, is so peaceful. My lungs open up and my sense of awe kicks in like magic...there's a momentary escape. Soft, murmuring melodies float through me to the sky, into breadths of blue and puffs of billowy clouds.

Yesterday I was standing in my back yard and happened to look up. This was the view that greeted me, and I ran for my camera. There were also tons of starlings swooping all around, and some enormous dragonflies buzzing through and hovering. I tried to capture them with my camera but they were too fast. That's OK - this photo I got showed how amazing the view was.

I wrote this poem several years back - I was revisiting some of my old poetry yesterday and came upon it. I had forgotten all about it - it's a nice feeling to stumble upon an older poem and still feel pretty happy about how it turned out. That isn't always the case. I thought I'd share it today because it goes well with my sky photo (and my current poem is still under construction).

Thanks so much for stopping by. I will be linking this blog post up with Poets United, a wonderful place to visit for some poetry. Please have a look HERE. I'm also honored to have some of my photography featured there this morning!

The air up there in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious. And why shouldn't it be? — it is the same the angels breathe. ~Mark Twain

22 comments:

  1. Soft, murmuring melodies
    float through me to the sky
    into breadths of blue and
    puffs of billowy clouds.

    Beautiful lines :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh to spend some time in that magical sky - thank you for letting us visit too - it is indeed wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Often when in a beautiful place it is wonderful to have that feeling you describe where "You want to hide...where the breeze swirls their songs through the soul of me". What an excellent read this was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I want to hide here / forever"...seeing the photo i felt like this too...love how you've captivated happiness and peacefulness in the lines....

    ReplyDelete
  5. NIce. I can share the desire to stay there forever, when you find those peaceful places.
    Nice connection to nature as well. You give depth to the experience as well by touching
    several senses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must be beautiful..a field of poppies to escape to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel that I am in a place where I am both captivated and captured, a beautiful escape into nature!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful and serene. Perfectly expressed. I loved this poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy reading a photographer's poetry, to enjoy a double vision of how you may see the world around you. Thank you for your kind comment on my poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your poem certainly capture the essence of the photograph....Both beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love. I put a poppy poem in my first book, and this reminds me of that as it transcends age and time to be pure color and sensuousness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to get such an insight.. Sometimes we just need to look up to feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhhhh! I am there filled by nature and your vivid, dream-like words and image!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this glimpse of your view looking up.....and very much enjoyed my visit to your poem full of poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely, evocative piece. And that photograph is mesmerizing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here from Sherry Blue Sky's interview. I enjoyed it very much and your poetry is great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I hear you. I love nature. One of the greatest stress-relievers there is. especially my backyard for example.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will try again to comment and say how much I enjoyed your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A wonderful poem. I wonder if its how Dorothy felt in OZ.

    ReplyDelete