Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Cicadas are Here

Virginia cicadas

Virginia cicadas

Virginia cicadas

Virginia cicadas

Virginia cicadas

Virginia cicadas

Virginia cicadas

Virginia cicadas

Virginia cicadas

If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade a grass springing up in the fields has power to move you, if the simple things in nature have a message you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive. ~Eleanora Duse

The cicadas showed up in Virginia this past Friday...suddenly they were perched on tree trunks and bushes everywhere. So far they've remained very quiet - no singing yet. I'm wondering if it's because of the unseasonably cold temperatures that have showed up for the last few days? This morning we're breaking records with low temps and I hope it won't hurt them. Meanwhile, I've been taking lots of photos of these strange looking insects...they won't be here again for seventeen years! I'm normally very skittish around insects, but cicadas fascinate me despite their beady, red eyes. And they've been very willing subjects so far - they're very low key, and no flying into my hair yet!

I'm linking up today with Kim Klassen's Texture Tuesday - today's prompt is black and white with a touch of color (and one of Kim's textures). What a great prompt! I used Kim's "Reentry" texture for my first image, Soft Light/30%, and a reverse layer mask to bring back the cicada color.

Have a wonderful Tuesday and thank you for stopping by - if you're in the U.S., do you have cicadas in your area? I'm curious if they're everywhere or only in certain states.

kimklassencafe


22 comments:

  1. I remember when I would go back to VA and here these creatures, not the most pleasant noise after a while. Nicely done with the hint of color

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic photos of cicadas! No, we don't have cicadas here (Northern California), at least not that I know of. We have crickets though, and they have been singing for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cool insects!! Great photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful shots of those cicadas. I'm not sure why, but I love bug shots like these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos. I especially love the capture of the translucent wings. No cicadas here in CA, so the photos are appreciated!

    joanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the hit of color in that first shot.

    When I was in the northeast we did not have noisy cicadas. When I went to the Midwest, I asked where the bug zapper was becuase they noise they make there sounds like a bug zapper. They have them every year, some more, some less. I never did get used to the sound.

    Now I am in the Southeast and we do not have them here. We have the crickets chirping which was what I had in the Northeast and that sound is more pleasant to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherri...They are beautiful and QUIET in your pictures, but please keep them there. Last year was a killer for us. We finally found that a dug out fire pit down by the creek with a fire in it shut them up :-) Love that first shot. The color pops against the black and white. The entire post was great. A Fun Prompt. genie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful shots of this fascinating insect. The b&w theme is perfect to showcase it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that's what cicadas look like nothing as exotic as that here....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how cool Sherri, love these, but I don't think that surprises you! Love the one you did in the black and white with the cicada in color, just pops right off the photo. They are so interesting aren't' they!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen a cicada, they do not live here. Beautifull pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic. Wonderful sequence of shots. The B&W with the color is absolutely fantastic.

    Earl

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH, SO FABULOUS! What a wonderful pop of color in the b&w. Such detail on the cicadas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful photos Sherri. We do not have an here. I hope that yours don't freeze to death.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm pretty sure we have them here. I remember reading in the paper about them before, and hearing them :)

    Also like the quote. Like the color. Like the spring. I saw a bunch of honeysuckle at the golf course yesterday and thought to myself, "Man, I'll be Sherri B would take some killer photos of that." Me and my camera phone? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW...what amazing captures of these tiny little creatures. I always love the sounds they sing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are all great captures! But I especially like the first one. What part of Virginia are you in? I remember last time they came how much the dogs loved to eat them....and they say they are low in fat and high in protein. They are considered a delicacy by many people around the world! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marvellous photos of this little fellow. No we don't have them in Denmark - but I am sure they are in south Italy as I have heard them there. (If they were these creatures)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really great shots of these. I never realized that they had such red eyes. I love the sound of these at night in the trees. Makes me think of when I was a little girl sitting out on the porch at night with my grandma! Great shots Sherri

    ReplyDelete