Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Right Lighting

Love star

"The secret to life is to put yourself in the right lighting. For some it’s a Broadway spotlight; for others, a lamplit desk. Use your natural powers—of persistence, concentration, insight, and sensitivity—to do work you love and work that matters. Solve problems, make art, think deeply." ~Susan Cain, from Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking

I love this quote...it speaks to me deeply as a person (and an introvert!). I may not always be the best at solving problems, but I am passionate about making art and thinking deeply. These are two things I can't help but do - it's embedded in me at a molecular level. How about you? What is your "best lighting"? Whatever it is, stand in it and own it...that one thing you love is what makes you a star.

The above image is from the latest lesson in the Beyond Beyond class I'm taking (via Kim Klassen)...I'm starting the very slow process of learning a manual camera. I borrowed my husband's Canon and played with f-stops for this lesson. I adore my trusty point-and-shoot Lumix, but am enjoying trying to figure out how a manual camera works. I have so much to learn...baby steps!

12 comments:

  1. Love the quote and the fact that you are learning the manual settings. I'm trying to learn them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job! Good for you for starting to tackle manual. You will just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quote and love the star I'm still learning manual I've a long way to go.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding the right light in not always easy but as you said, once we find it, we should be proud and own it. This is such a lovely post! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so true Sherri. Finding our right light is essential.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for drawing my attention to that quote. It's a profound one. And congrats on going manual...you will love the new possibilities it will bring you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an inspiring quote and image-to-match. Standing in our light is a life's practice and work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful words of wisdom that I so needed today......I so have a hard time being satisfied in the "light" that is mine......

    I need to take this class as well because I really need to learn more on using the manual mode....

    Thank you so much for introducing me to all the IPhone apps.....I am having so much fun with my phone.....Pretty soon processing on the IPhone or computer is going to take all my tine.. I am having a problem balancing all the fun things to do.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh great, now I'm gonna spend the rest of the evening trying to figure out what my best lighting is :) (Probably being indecisive. Is that a lighting?)

    Ever since I changed your name on my blogroll, it's like I can't find you. I think it's that I have several S's. I may have to move you back to Fledgling Poet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful image and a lovely quote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the quote and the star is beautiful. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete