Wednesday, April 1, 2015

From iPhone Photo to Abstract: iColorama, Glaze, Stackables and Artrage

In every landscape should reside jewels of abstract art waiting to be discovered. ~Melissa Brown

I have been fascinated with the idea of using my apps and an iPhone photo to create painterly looking abstracts. I really know nothing about abstract art...I just know that I find it very appealing to look at. I like the feeling I have while attempting to create something abstract. It comes from the gut - it's all about balance and symmetry to my own inner eye. I like that it's purely subjective - what I find to be balanced may look completely unbalanced to someone else. But, I guess that describes all art, doesn't it?

Last week I played around with a beautiful sunset photo I recently took near my house. I was very excited at the abstract results I was able to get! The photo was taken with my iPhone, but all of my editing was done on the iPad. Here is the original photo:
App Abstract

I first put the photo into iColorama and used the Triangle feature under Style. It, obviously, turns your photo into a bunch of triangular shapes:
App Abstract

Next, I moved it into Glaze and chose a painterly effect that I liked:
App Abstract

Then I moved it into Stackables because at this point I wanted a little more texture and grunge. I added various filters till I was happy:
App Abstract

And last came my favorite part - I moved it into Artrage where I used various pencils (and colors) to randomly add the circles and triangles. Artrage is an incredible app and I won't even try to explain how it works because it does so many things. If you Google "Artrage" there are tutorials everywhere that teach the basics. I've only begun to scratch the surface of what it's capable of:
App Abstract

If you want to attempt an abstract without all the paints and mess, go choose one of your phone images and give it a try with your camera apps! Who knows what jewels you'll discover?

Today I'm linking up with the digital art meme over at the Nature Footstep blog. Click HERE to visit.

12 comments:

  1. That was awsome. I like the final result best (I think)
    Have a nice day.
    Mormor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I love what your apps do for you and what you do with your apps. What kind of phone do you have. I don't know if I can put these apps on mine. These are just beautiful.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very creative!
    Your original scene is very serene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sunset is spectacular. All the edits I enjoyed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It certainly helps to start with a gorgeous photo...I'm a big fan of layering all types of apps....yours is marvelous♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/filtered/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherri, I love this! Going to look for some of those apps now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome...I have all these apps..will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just stunning work, Sherri! This is gorgeousness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so gorgeous and looks so fun I might have to buy myself a phone. I still don´t have any other then a very old one. Love what you made :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beyond awesome! I, too, love abstracts a lot. And I have also been creating a lot more with my iPhone/iPad lately. It is so much fun. I have, but have not really used iColorama yet, and will check out Artrage. One that I recently discovered is Decim8, gives you great looks (check out my Instagram - link on my site).

    And I would just love (!) you to join in my Saturday link up. I would love some abstract art to look at constantly :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great edits! I like all the intermediate stages as well as the final. iColorama is amazing, isn't it?! And I love your idea of taking it into ArtRage at the last step.

    ReplyDelete